Protest against inciting speech by a politician:
If we are protesting against the inciting speeches by a politician and waiting to see the judicial action on such irresponsible utterances, it means we are not ready to accept the negative influence of public figures.
Criticism against a religious guru’s statement:
Media and people have equally protested on a religious guru’s statement on Delhi Gangrape victim.
Whether out of political interests or humanitarian, protests are against words said or uttered by public figures.
Looks like the message is ‘Watch your Words’
All those institutions and people who have the privilege of getting the attention of large number of people, have the greatest responsibility of engaging these people positively.
Schools, colleges, universities, moviemakers, television producers, print media, film stars, politicians and leaders, religious heads have lakhs of people giving attention – everyday !
And to each one of the above-I intend to publish series of posts advising them on….
To start with I would like to ask the heroes of Telugu cinema to…
Watch your words !
I want to caution all the heroes, comedians, heroines, villains and supporting actors in Indian movies, particularly those in Telugu movies- WATCH YOUR WORDS !
For you they may be just words that you are saying for an amount, but the people who are listening to you are catching on to every sound of your words. You might log out of your role once the shooting is over, but your fans stay logged in with those words and actions you show onscreen.
And who are your fans ? From vulnerable school/college students to that daily wage worker in remote areas !
· You have the largest influence on them and their mindsets.
· You may be happy that they buy tickets and watch your movies.
· You may be a puppet in the hands of producer or director.
· You may be carried away with your fan clubs and worshippers.
· But you have a responsibility.
· You might say ,”how am I responsible?”- YOU ARE !
That frustrated rickshaw wallah in the town, that desperate loner in a big city, that daily wage worker, that waiter in the restaurant and that lazy college student are taking refuge in your dialogues !
These are dialogues from Telugu superstar Mahesh babu’s movies Businessman.I personally like the intensity in his action. But I was alarmed to hear him conclude the movie with these dialogues-
1. Meeru adugutunnaru kabatti chepthunnanu, jeevitham anedi oka yuddam, devudu manalni over zone lo padesadu, be alert, protect yourself.
Broadly it means- life is a war, god has thrown us into this war, save yourself !
2. Life lo oka goal antu pettukondi, kasitho parigethandi, padalanukunte kasi ga padeyyandi, chadavalanukunte kasi ga chadiveyyandi,
Broadly it means- set a goal in life, whether running or singing or studying-do it with …passion- (I am using passion although the actual word sounds like avenge)
3. Life lo ye goal lenollu matram veelainantha tvaraga chachipondi mee valla maku ye upayogham ledhu.
Broadly it means- if you have no goal, die as soon as you can because we don’t need you and you are of no use to us
4. Gurthupettuko…neekante thopu evadu ledikkada
Broadly it means – Remember…there is no one better than you (exact word –thopu- used here might actually infuse arrogance in people than confidence)
5. neeku edi anipisthe adi chey, evadi mata vinoddu, manishi mata assalu vinoddhu,
Broadly it means- do whatever you feel like, don’t listen to anybody, don’t ever
listen to any man
6. nee target 10miles aithe aim for the 11th mile.
Broadly speaking- if your target is 10 miles, aim for the 11th mile
7. KODTHE DIMMA TIRIGIPOVALI
Broadly speaking- I don’t want to translate this !
How many people who watch this movie might take the positive meaning of these dialogues ?
Here are a few samples of telugu superstars in movies. Often times, he is made to sound like a terrorist, a self obsessed character..who defies everything and anything in the world !
1. Nenu Narakadam Modalu Pedithe Narakam Bayata kooda Housefull Board Pedathaaru ra. –
Broadly speaking it means- if I start slaying, there will be a housefull board outside hell !
2. Naku Nene Poti. Naatho Naake Poti..Natho Evvaru Potiki Raru, Raleru
Broadly speaking, it means- I am my own competition, I compete with myself, no one comes forward to compete with me, no on can compete with me !
3. Nakkonchem tikkundi..kaani daaniki lekkundi..
Broadly speaking - I have my own eccentricities, and they do have an account !
4. Nenu Trend follow avvanu…Trend set chesthaa
Broadly speaking, it means- I don’t follow any trend- because I set the trend !
Wah wah hero- you are indeed a He-man, superman, batman, spiderman, and what not !
I know that you are very human at home and God to your followers !
But look what it does to humans !!!!
· Little humans who are barely 3 year olds also dole out your dialogues and the whole family claps and hugs them..
· Supposedly humans in the age between 15 to 40 use your punch lines to show their heroism on vulnerable girls or helpless parents, or passersby.
· Ofcourse many ‘reality shows’ of humans thrive on your dialogues.
CINEMA CINEMA INDIAN CINEMA
· India is the world's largest producer of films,
· We have 10167 single screen theatres in our country
· 2809 single screen theatres in Andhra Pradesh.
· This means that largest number of people spend a quantitative time in watching movies.
· It is alarming to read the report that age group between12 to 24 is the largest audience.
· Approximately 2000 telugu movies and 2500 hindi movies were made since 1990
· There are some exceptional movies !
· But the number of exceptional movies is negligible…
· So what are the Indians watching ?
· Hindi cinema is watched by almost all the Indians.
· 1 billion people are watching…what ?
About 80 million Telugu speaking people in India and outside watch Telugu movies…What are they watching ???
On an average…
· 60% of the movie- Violence, heroism,sycophancy
· 30%- love and physical part of love
· 10% -slapstick comedy
Perhaps I am too sceptical !
I sure hope that these 12 to 24 year olds who are the largest audience of Indian movies..are greatly influenced by the ‘great Indian hero image’ – and become real heroes !